Welcome to the Weaverham Parish Council Website
Weaverham is a large village to the west of Northwich in the district of Vale Royal in the county of Cheshire. It consists of approximately 3000 homes with some 6000 residents, several retail outlets in two centres, 4 public houses, one hotel, several farms and a few small businesses.
The name Weaverham is Saxon in origin and means 'the hamlet on the winding river'. It is listed in the Domesday Book of William the Conqueror (1086). In 1277 Edward 1st founded Vale Royal Abbey and part of the land given to the monks was the manor of Weaverham, over which they ruled for 300 years.
After the dissolution of the monasteries by Henry VIII Vale Royal Abbey and the manor of Weaverham were sold to Sir Thomas Holcroft, whose brother was Vicar of Weaverham.
Weaverham remained a rural community of some 1000 people until the 1920's, when ICI built the Owley Wood estate to house its workers. Since then there has been considerable development, both of private and council housing.
It was the first community in England to produce a Parish Plan, Village Design Statement and Landscape Statement together.
The Parish Council obtains a precept from Cheshire West & Chester Council to meet the budgetary requirements. Each Council Tax payer in the Parish is contributing to this Precept. The Parish Council retrieves some of the community's contribution to ensure the community sees the benefit of it.